Nov. 22, 2023[JU-CAT]
Ten Japanese startups exhibiting at COP28
Three JU-CAT coordinators support participation
Sep. 20, 2023[JU-CAT]
Abies Ventures, Real Tech Holdings, and UMI complete partnership agreement on Japan-UAE Coordination scheme for Advanced Technology (JU-CAT) activities
Jul. 20, 2023[JU-CAT]
Support for participation by Japanese startups in the Japan-UAE Business Forum held in the UAE
Jun. 13, 2023[JU-CAT]
Support for the participation of 11 Japanese startup companies in the “Make it in the Emirates Forum” held in the UAE
Jun. 9, 2023[Japanese startup]
JEPLAN signs a letter of intent with Rebound Limited, a global quality-assured trading platform for recycled plastic, for a joint project to establish a recycled PET market in the UAE.
Japan’s Solution for UAE Innovation/
- The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry of Japan (METI) and the Ministry of Industry and Advanced Technology of UAE (MoIAT) launched the “Japan-UAE Coordination scheme for Advanced Technology (JU-CAT)” for the development of future innovation and young human resources. JU-CAT has become one of the pillars of “Japan-UAE Innovation Partnership (JUIP)” launched by the Japanese Prime minister and the president of UAE.
- Emirati investors can invest in Japanese startups interested in doing business globally through this scheme. Conditions of investment may include contribution to human resource development in the UAE. Technologies that are a better fit for the Middle East than Japan are highly supported.
Coordinators in Japan
UAE’s Long-term Goals
- The goal for 2030 is mainly to focus on the shift from crude oil, the environment and new technologies. The goal for 2050 is to focus more on the shift from crude oil to renewable energy.
- JU-CAT will apply Japan's groundbreaking innovations to these issues, which will lead to solutions.
Goals for 2030
Goals for 2050
Potential Collaboration Themes/Startups from JU-CAT
- Establishing Joint Ventures・・・The establishment of joint venture companies between Japanese startups and UAE companies. Not just sales companies, but also companies involved in joint development, the creation of intellectual property, the development and manufacture of new products, expanded not only in the Middle East, but also on a global scale in order to realize an export model from the UAE.
- Technology licenses from Japan to the UAE (incl. joint developments/studies)・・・Simple technology licenses. Introducing Japanese advanced technology to UAE companies will support their acquisition of green tech technology.
- Financial investments・・・Investments from the UAE to growing Japanese startups and/or co-investments with UAE companies to global startups.
- There are over 100 startups (mainly Japanese) that are potential partner for the UAE’s long-term goal. (UMI has already found over 1,000 advanced tech startups.)
- JU-CAT seeks unique Japanese innovative startups for collaboration based on Emirati needs.
- JU-CAT also seeks unique global innovative startups supported by Japanese industry for Emirati partners.
|Technology Fields for
the UAE's Goals
|Keyword Examples for Individual Themes
|New Batteries, Battery Management,
Hydrogen, Nuclear Fusion
|New carbon capture system using
advanced materials and Green LP gas
|Rare Earth/Metal Recycling, Plastic
Recycling, Chemical Recycling
|Waste Water Treatment
|Bio Plastic Algae tech, Chemical
Production Systems Using Bio Tech
|Plant-based Meat, New Nutrients
|QOL solutions for diabetics,
|Small satellite technology,
Space debris collection